The River Roden

The River Roden is formed by three streams that converge to the west of Wem. These rise in Whixall Moss, Bettisfield and in the township of Lee. Garbutt noted that they powered mills in Crowsmere and at Lineal. It flows in an artificial channel past the villages of Loppington and Tilley,where it joins Sleap Brook and enters Wem, passing under Mill Street. For centuries, it has been employed as as source of power for the Mill in the town. A dam was constructed to provide a head of water for the wheel. Before the coming of the railways, it was also used for transport, with flat bottomed boats transporting goods to villages downstream.
The River from Aston Bridge looking westwards
Leaving Wem, it meanders through the hamlets of Barkers Green and Aston, before entering the gorge between the villages of Aston and Lee Brockhurst, where it has cut deeply into the underlying rock, avoiding the harder sandstone on which Lee Brockhurst is built. The road between the villages has to descend steep slopes and a sharp bend at Thistleford Bridge, before rising again to Lee Brockhurst.The bridge itself is Grade II listed and was built in 1796 and is coursed and dressed in red sandstone.The parapets were raised in 1844 at the suggestion of Edward Haycock, the county surveyor. The Shropshire Way footpath to the village climbs 17 metres and has 100 steps.The river then meanders southwards past Stanton upon Hine Heath before joining the River Tern, which in turn joins the Severn.
The river from Aston Bridge looking east to Aston Hall